Homeschool Complete “Seasons” Unit Study Giveaway
In exchange for my observations and opinion of this unit study, Homeschool Complete Curriculum from A+ Publishing sent me a pdf copy of their “Seasons” Unit Study to take a look at and a bundle of their products to give away to one lucky winner!
The “Seasons” Unit Study from Homeschool Complete is an all-inclusive, four-lesson unit designed to teach first grade skills. Engaging lessons are formed around the theme of the four seasons. Games, good books, music, crafts, and experiments are all used to keep things interesting and designed to reinforce learning.
The flexibility of these lessons is great – you can do as many of the activities as are appropriate for your family and your child can move along at their own pace to complete the lessons as needed. The levels of lessons can be adjusted to be more or less in depth according to your child’s ability and interest. You could easily use it with multiple students of similar ages.
Well Organized and Easy to Use
This unit study is fully planned and includes a detailed list of skills the student will be working on in the lessons. The materials needed and the literature the lessons are based around are simple to find, inexpensive and are all clearly listed at the beginning of each lesson so that parent preparation is quick and easy.
Each lesson not only includes lists and lesson planning for the homeschool teacher, but also spells out how to instruct your student and how to correct your child’s work.
The subjects are nicely integrated; the lessons are fun and yet challenging. The Homeschool Complete “Seasons” Unit Study covers all subject areas: language arts, math, social studies, science, fine arts, physical development, fitness, character development, and Bible.
What I loved
As I read through the lessons, lists and activities, I was excited to see how easy it would be for a parent to use. The planning is very detailed and the unit is well-organized. The lessons use legitimate activities around the theme and the skill level is appropriate for a first grader, but is flexible enough that the parent can adjust appropriately. There are enough ideas for activities that parents can pick the ones that work best with their schedule and supplies. There are student worksheets but the instruction is not dependent on them. It is a true Unit Study, not a worksheet based curriculum with some activity ideas thrown in. Students of various learning styles will profit from it.
I also love the cost factor. These are priced fairly for what is included. You can get unit studies cheaper or sometimes free, but even Cathy Duffy had high praise for the organization of the Homeschool Complete unit studies. The planning and coordinated lesson materials are a huge factor to consider when you are purchasing curricula – after all how will you even use it if it is too hard to figure out how to teach the lessons?
These unit studies are created for homeschoolers with the needs and schedules of home educators in mind. You don’t have to purchase separate teacher materials and then wade through loads of advice for classroom teachers that won’t apply to your situation.
So to break it down…
Benefits For Your Homeschool Student
- Fun activities integrated into lessons create and nurture a love of learning
- Quality books are used and additional recommendations are given for children who want more to read
- The variety of activities and experiments appeals to multiple learning styles
- Problem solving skills and higher thinking skills are incorporated into the lessons
- The worksheets are colorful and visually interesting, but the lessons do not depend only on worksheets to teach your child.
- New skills are introduced and other skills are reviewed throughout the material
- The level and amount of work is challenging, but not overwhelming (for students or parents)
Benefits For You, The Homeschool Parent
- The lessons are easy and fun to do with your child
- The program aims to teach you to teach your child well, and meets that goal
- Teaching instruction within the lessons reminds us to encourage and use positive feedback with our children
- The Teaching Procedure section at the beginning of the unit is teaching you how to teach with expert guidance from the author who is a teacher and home educator too
- Specific skills are targeted in all subject areas and are listed in every lesson
- Subjects and skill areas documented so you have less worry about skill gaps
- Lessons are organized and planned so you spend less time preparing, which gives you more time for other things
- The lists save you loads of time since the materials and books are organized by lessons which are easy to locate in the curriculum
- Games, cards and manipulatives that are printable are all right there in the lesson – just print and go have fun while learning with your child
- You can download a new unit study right away if you need to, or order a physical copy – options!
- Homeschool Complete also offers a full year of organized unit studies for grades K-2, so if your child likes the individual unit studies, you can with confidence purchase the program either by the semester or for a full year
- The program is flexible – as homeschoolers we all know how important that is!
What Could Be Drawbacks
- It is not an independent study so it is not for you if you are looking for a program that is “hands-off” for the parent
- The full year curriculum is only available right now for grades K-2, but we hope the author plans to keep going 🙂
- New topical studies are being made available throughout the year for grades K-6, but the waiting could be a drawback if you are impatient like me!
So if the curriculum you bought at the beginning of the school year is not working, or you are looking to add a little fun and something different into your homeschool, take a look at the Homeschool Complete curriculum and the individual unit studies that are available HERE. One of these units may be just the thing to spice up your home education plan this year!
You may even win the prize package and have an opportunity to try the “Seasons” unit study free. Check out the details of how to enter!
Enter My Giveaway
This “Giveaway” consists of a physical copy of the “Seasons” Unit Study PLUS a Bundle of other products from Homeschool Complete which complement the unit study. The total package is valued at around $50 and will be shipped to the winner by Homeschool Complete. You can see it pictured below. These are physical products, not downloads. Anyone older than 18 who is in the Continental U.S. is eligible to win. Enter from 12/18/2017 to 1/1/2018.
The Package Includes:
- A Copy of the Seasons Unit Study
- Sight Word Flashcards
- Sight Word Bingo
- Alphabet Memory Game
- Student Journal
- 100 chart
- Number Flashcards
- Color Flashcards
Enter to Win Here – It is Easy!
Please visit the Homeschool Complete website and OPT IN to their email list if you would like more information, or a heads up on new giveaways, products and discounts!
How to Get a Discount
If you don’t feel like waiting to see if you have won and want to try a unit study right now, you can get 20% Off your purchase at the Homeschool Complete webstore until January 8, 2018 by using the code NCHS20: