Saturday, October 15, 2016
9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Old Salem Historic District
A fun-filled day of activities for the family, with all your favorite foods from the fall harvest! Enjoy hearing historic accounts about the harvest and fun activities for the kids and the adults too.
Celebrate fall harvest days at Old Salem with hands-on activities, historic demonstrations and local exhibitors in the Old Salem Historic District in Winston-Salem.
Harvest Day Activities
- Cheese-making demonstration
- Learn about Ginger Pop
- Make and sample pumpkin cornmeal fritters
- Create an autumn paper craft
- Assist with the apple cider mill & press
- Watch historic trades being demonstrated
Exhibitors from all around our state will be showing and discussing their goods as well.
- Century Farms Orchards – discussing heirloom and heritage apple varieties. We have purchased Pear and Apple Trees from them and they have grafted two of our apple trees from old trees which are on the site of the original Lefler Farm where we live now. David is super smart about Heritage Variety Apples and Pears – they also make amazing cider!
- Judi Fleming from the North Carolina Gourd Society – discussing & selling gourds
- Pumpkins and Indian Corn for sale from Roger’s Trees & Nursery from Lewisville, NC
- From the Vine to the Brush – Learn about the origin of gourds, their uses and view live decorative gourd painting with local artist Leo Rucker
- Levering Orchard apples available for purchase – they have had a bumper crop this year!
- Beer Tasting ( This event has an additional cost – click to see the details at the Old Salem website)
All of these great activities are included with the purchase of an All-In-One ticket which can be purchased online or at the visitors center at 900 Old Salem Road in Winston-Salem.
“Friends of Old Salem” enjoy free admission.